I’ve spent the past 2 weeks slowly pulling together supplies. Here’s how to stock your pantry in a pandemic. I’ve included over 20 pantry staples to stock up on while self isolating.
Most of us live in cities where we are being encouraged (or mandated) to self isolate, practice social distancing, or quarantine. This means that panic can easily set in as we wonder if we’re going to starve! The truth is that with a few simple pantry staples, you can put together meals that are even more healthy than the ones that you usually eat.
Simple “peasant” food is the healthiest. Let’s remember The Blue Zones, where people used to live to be healthy centenarians. What did they eat? Simple meals consisting of beans, grains, and veggies. They also ate plenty of fruit. Most of us in North America have access to these simple staples even in the throws of the Coronavirus panic. So, panic not. Here’s how to stock your pantry in a pandemic.
- Beans (Baked Beans, Garbanzo, Pinto, Black beans etc)
- Lentils (Red, Crimson, Green, Black etc)
- Mung beans
- Quinoa (I love sprouted Quinoa)
- Whole wheat pasta (I’m obsessed with The Sfloglini Pasta Shop)
- Lentil Pasta (I love Ancient Harvest).
- Brown rice pasta (I prefer the Jovial brand by far!)
- Brown Rice
- Canned tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Low-sodium veggie bouillon cubes.
- Jars of marinated artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and olives
- Shelf-stable plant-based milks and creamers (unsweetened).
- Green Tea – I love all the green teas and particularly the Ceremonial Matcha from Pique.
- Hibiscus Tea
- Dandy Blend
- Nut butters (no added oil or sugar)
- Protein Powder
- Healthy box or canned soups
- Amla Powder
Here are a couple of my favorite recipes using these staples:
I hope you can find as many of these healthiest pantry staples to stock up on while self isolating, or that you can find similar.
Even after the Corona crisis has passed, I recommend you stock up on these staples. You never know when the next crisis will hit. And next time you can be super prepared.