I wanted to create the ultimate prebiotic salad for you, since I am SO about having a healthy gut, and because I know that feeding our good bacteria is the key. Let’s remind ourselves of what a PRE biotic is: It’s a fibrous plant food that is not digested in the small intestine. So, it makes it’s way to the colon, where it ferments, and becomes the perfect food for our good bacteria. Eating prebiotic foods is as important as guzzling probiotics – maybe more important.
Since the top prebiotic foods aren’t the tastiest foods on Earth, I concocted a salad using two of the main prebiotic foods (dandelion greens and jicama), which is delicious enough to eat at least three times a week. Dandelion greens are bitter, but when combined with sweet carrot and jicama, you have a seriously delicious, crunchy salad on your table. I also included avocado and hemp seeds to add a boost of healthy fat and protein.You can make a large bowl for lunch, or a smaller serving as a dinner side dish. This recipe serves four.
- 1 bunch dandelion greens, washed, and chopped
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 1 medium Jicama, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup either fermented red cabbage*, or regular red cabbage, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
*The Fermented Red Cabbage and Beet offering from Wildbrine is addicting!
- Simple assemble all the ingredient in a large bowl
- Make the dressing in a jar – give it a good shake, and dress your salad if eating right away. If you plan to serve it later, wait to dress until just before eating.
- Enjoy your ultimate prebiotic salad!
For more Gorgeously Green recipes delivered to your inbox, subscribe to my weekly newsletter!