This sweet potato dal soup is the ultimate comfort food. When you want something warm, hearty, and very satisfying, make a huge pot. I like to make double, and then freeze what I don’t use in individual glass containers for the following weeks.
Dal is made with red lentils, which are very high in protein. They are also easy to digest. I’ve also added garbanzo beans for even more protein:-)
My sweet potato dal soup is so nutritious and delicious – it’s bound to become a family favorite! It’s literally my daughter’s favorite soup. When she came back from college for Winter break, it was the first thing she requested!
Sweet Potato Dal Soup
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- A pinch of red chili pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2- 4 cups kale or spinach (optional)
- Place 1/4 cup of water in large stock pot.
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, until soft.
- Add the spices and black pepper. Combine well.
- Add the remaining water, lentils, garbanzo beans, tomatoes and sweet potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Add lemon juice.
- If you are using the greens, add them to the pot now.
- Cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until kale is tender.
- Season with a little sea salt if desired.
- Garnish with parsley.