I’m always experimenting with oil-free dressings because we don’t need to slather oil on our salads! You may think that olive oil is a health food, but it is a processed food, and we tend to glug way too much of it. Moreover, if you want to lose unwanted pounds, I highly recommend you go as oil-free as you possibly can. And that’s why I created this simple creamy garlicky oil-free dressing. You can use it to dress salads, or drizzle over grain bowls or steamed greens.
Healthy fats come from nuts, seeds, avocados, and olives. In this case we are getting our healthy fats from ground up sesame seeds (tahini). Every whole food plant-based pantry needs to stock at least 2 jars of tahini. Once you open the jar, you will need to keep it in the fridge. I recommend allowing it to warm up to room temperature before using.
My Creamy Garlicky oil-free dressing contains just a few simple ingredients that you can pick up at any grocery store.
Creamy Garlicky Oil-Free Dressing
- 1 shallot, minced (about 2 tbsp of minced shallot)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder*
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp date syrup (or half a medjool date)
- A handful of fresh parsley
- A grind of fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- A tiny pinch of sea salt (optional)
*You could use one clove of fresh garlic (minced), instead of the powder. There are advantages to using powder (easier!!!), and health benefits to using fresh, raw garlic. Totally up to you!
- Toss all the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy
- Keep in a tightly sealed jar for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Shake well before using.