Why eat a mediocre peanut butter when you can whip up my Super Healthy Nut Seed Butter in a few minutes. Move over peanut butter! I made this nut butter for a segment that I did on TV, and everyone went bananas about it. Remember many store-bought peanut butters contain added sugar, sodium and unhealthy/low quality oils. It’s waaaaay healthier to make your own.
I always use raw nuts because they are healthier. Remember roasted and salted nuts may have been sitting around for months – the rancidity is hidden by roasting and salting them. If you like the taste of roasted/salted, you can easily do it yourself by popping them in the overn (375 degrees F) for about 20 minutes (turning regularly). Or, I love roasting nuts in my cast iron skillet. Then you can add healthy sea salt, or Herbamere.
So, let’s get to this healthy butter. I have used raw almonds, cashews, and boosted the Omega 3 Fatty Acid content by adding sunflower seeds. You could also add a few spoons of raw cacao powder to make it chocolatey.
- 1.5 cups raw almonds
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp raw virgin coconut oil (optional if you want it a bit creamier, but you don’t need it).
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- Place all the ingredients in your food processor, and process until smooth. I like a little texture in mine, so stop processing at the point at which there is still a bit of crunch.
- Store in a mason jar for up to 1 month in a cool, dark, cabinet.
- Enjoy your super healthy nut seed butter!
For more Gorgeously Green recipes delivered to your inbox, subscribe to my weekly newsletter!