My DIY laundry sponges are a great alternative to toxic dryer sheets. Dryer sheets are coated with toxic chemicals, which then coat your clothes. These chemicals get on your skin and can cause allergies, rashes, and other issues. Have you ever poked your nose into a newly opened box of dryer sheets? The fake, synthetic fragrance will almost knock you off your feet. It’s disgusting, and the “fragrance” is made up of hundreds of chemicals, many of which are can be horrible for your health. My DIY laundry sponges will impart both fragrance and softness to your laundry.
Inexpensive dish washing sponges
Container with lid
Natural hair conditioner
1 tsp tea tree oil
1 tsp lavender essential oil
1) Fill air tight container half way with water.
2) Add 2 tablespoons of natural conditioner per cup of water, to the water and whisk it in.
3) Add 1 teaspoon of lavender oil and 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil.
4) Cut sponges to size and soak in mixture! Squeeze before using sponge to get rid of excess moisture and add to dryer.
5) Reuse but putting the sponge back into the container.
6) Shake well before each use
Storage: Keep in a cool, dark spot, and replace the liquid every month.
To Reduce Static:
- Air dry man-made fibers such as spandex, acrylic, and nylon. They don’t need to be in the dryer because they not only create static, but they air-dry quickly. Lay your panty hose and undies on top of dryer and the heat will have them dry by the end of the cycle.
- Add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle of your laundry.
- Reduce the heat you are using. Most dryers come with a hi or low heat option. If you still find that there is static in your laundry, choose the low heat option.