As our farmer’s markets are now over-flowing with zucchini of every size and shape and color, now is the time to get out your stainless steel pan and cook this fantastic recipe for zucchini fritters and tomato olive salsa. It works as a vegetarian entree if you serve it with a hearty green salad and crusty olive bread, or you can serve it as a side dish. You are in for a real treat.
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 4oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 small bunch of basil, chopped
- 2 crushed garlic gloves
- Coarsely grate the zucchini and place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave in the sink for an hour.
- Heat a little olive oil in your pan, add the onions on a low heat until they have softened. Place a small plate over the zucchini in the colander and squeeze out any excess water (need to be very dry).
- Add the chopped garlic and zucchini to the onions until the mixture begins to turn golden. Add the flour and continue to cook for another couple of minutes. Beat the egg in a small bowl, then add the feta and herbs, salt and pepper. Stir into onion mixture.
- Grab another pan and heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, then drop in heaped tablespoons of the batter and fry until brown on the underside, then flip over.
- Lift them out with a spatula and place on a pretty oven-proof platter.
Tomato Olive Salsa
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups of organic cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chopped mint
- 1 bunch of arugula, chopped
- Mix all the ingredients together and leave for half and hour for the flavors to mingle.
- Spoon into a pretty bowl and decorate with a sprig of fresh basil.
- Enjoy with your zucchini fritters!
After you enjoy these tasty fritters, subscribe to my email list to get more Gorgeously Green recipes delivered to your inbox!