Sometimes we forget that eating specific snacks will help to give us gorgeously glowing skin. I make sure that my pantry is always stocked up with these top 10 beauty snacks.
- Prunes: Prunes have a higher antioxidant value than any other fruit or vegetable. They are also fantastic for digestion and promoting healthy gut bacteria. Eating a few dried prunes a day is just as important as slathering your skin with antioxidant creams.
- Dark Chocolate: It reduces bad cholesterol and promotes a healthy blood pressure. It contains a bunch of antioxidants and serotonin for your mood too! It you want a really delicious sugar-free chocolate, I highly recommend Coco Polo.
- Figs: These little guys contain a huge amount of calcium. They are full of fiber, which is important when trying to maintain a healthy weight. Their blood-cleansing properties also make for clear and vibrant skin.
- Black Kalamata Olives: These tiny fruits are packed with Vitamin E, which is essential for beautiful skin. They also contain squalene, which not only boosts your immune system, but also smoothes and softens the skin, and is found in many beauty products. They also contain polyphenols and flavanoids, which are powerful antioxidants.
- Cucumber: This is an absolutely essential skin food. It minimizes water-retention and bloating. It’s an excellent cleanser for the kidneys, which is important because our kidneys filter out heavy metals. If you buy them organic, don’t peel them as the skin contains silicon and chlorophyll for skin luminosity.
- Walnuts: These nuts are packed with omega-3 fatty acids in the form of alpha-linolenic acid, which is essential for building cell membranes and heart health.
- Almonds: Yummy almonds lower your bad cholesterol and reduce your heart disease risk. They contain high levels of magnesium, which has a calming effect on the mind and body, and potassium, which is an important electrolyte. They are also hight in protein and fill you up quickly – a perfect snack.
- Radishes: These are a fantastic weight-loss food because they are filling and yet contain very few calories. They are an excellent detoxifier and contain a lot of Vitamin C and zinc, which is great for the skin.
- Avocado: I eat almost one a day because they are packed with antiaging antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Contrary to popular belief, they are great for a weight-loss diet because the monounsaturated fat actually speeds up your basal metabolic rate.
- Dried Apricots: I love brown unsulphured apricots, as they don’t contain additives that give them the bright orange color. The brown apricots are nutty and caramel-like in flavor. They contain very few calories and are a great source of fiber. They contain a high level of vitamin A, which is important for vision. They are also very high in antioxidants.
How I Make Sure I Get These Foods Everyday:
- I prepare a gorgeous crunchy salad with romaine lettuce, olives, radishes, cucumber, avocado and walnuts or toasted almonds. Sometimes I add either tofu, feta cheese or hard boiled egg.
- I keep a bag of dried prunes and a bag of raw almonds in the glove compartment of my car in case I get hungry. It helps me to stay away from unhealthy snacks or sugary drinks.
- At night, after dinner, I often crave a little something sweet, so will have a couple of dried figs or 2 or 3 squares of dark chocolate.