I love Tacos. My family looooooooves Taco Tuesday, which I do every single week. They love it because they can customize, and since we all have different likes and dislikes (big time!!), it’s a great crowd pleaser.
I have chosen to use 3 of the world’s healthiest foods in my mushroom & walnut tacos: Maitake Mushroom, sundried tomatoes, and walnuts. We all need to eat more mushrooms because they contain compounds that may be preventative against cancer. Maitake have extra special health benefits, which is why I use them whenever possible. Sundried tomatoes contain a lot of iron, and walnuts are preventative against breast cancer! So, imagine, you have a delicious vegan taco that is completely loaded with health benefits.
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped sundried tomatoes (I use the ones that are packed in olive oil)
- 1 Maitake mushroom, or 1 cup of chopped brown/portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Taco Spice Mix (I love the one by Simply Organic Foods)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 handful of cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- Juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup of soaked cashews (I soak them overnight)
- Follow Your Heart or Parmela’s Creamery Cheese Shreds
- Baby Romaine lettuce leaves
- Organic Taco shells (optional)
- Place the walnuts, sundried tomatos, and mushrooms in a saute pan, and saute over a medium heat for abut 5 minutes. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to move the mixture around to prevent burning. I also like to use a wooden spoon to smoosh the mixture down as it gently fries.
- Stir in the Taco seasoning, and fry for another minute or so.
- Remove from the heat, and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the avocado, cilantro, lime, and soaked cashews in a blender, and blend until you have a smooth cream.
- Assemble the lettuce leaves on a platter. Fill with the taco mixture. You can either serve the avocado cream, salsa, and cheese on the side, or use to top the tacos.
- An additional option (my husband’s request), is to heat some taco shells, and then stuff the whole lettuce into the shell. He needs the extra crunch…who doesn’t!