I’ve been thinking about healthy Mother’s Day recipes, and I remembered one of my favorite childhood treats: On special occasions my Mum would make a pineapple boat. She’d gouge out chunks of fresh pineapple, mix it with freshly whipped cream, and stuff it back into the pineapple shell. Not only was it visually stunning, but it was a delicious treat because the cream offset the acidity of the pineapple to create a perfect mouthfeel. So, I’ve customized her recipe with a healthy non-dairy twist, and I hate to say (sorry Mum!), it rivals the calorific dairy version. Actually, it doesn’t rival it (cos Mum won’t be reading this) – it’s waaaaaaay better!
The Nutritional Element
- Pineapples are choc full of Vitamin C, B vitamins, folate and fiber.
- Matcha is full of anti-oxidants, fiber, and metabolism-boosting compounds
- Kite Hill Almond yogurt contains protein and probiotics for good gut health
- 1 organic Pineapple
- 1 small pot of dairy-free, plain or vanilla yogurt (I love Kite Hill Vanilla)
- 1 heaping tsp of Matcha powder (I love Jade Leaf Matcha Culinary Grade Powder)
- Half the pineapple, making sure you slice neatly through the crown
- Use a sharp pairing knife and serving spoon to gouge out the fruit.
- Use a sharp knife to discard the core and then cut the flesh into bite-size chunks
- Pour the yogurt and Matcha into a mixing bowl and whisk until any Matcha lumps disappear.
- Add the pineapple to the bowl and carefully combine.
- Spoon the pineapple back into the pineapple shell.
- I do recommend making this the day of serving. You can prepare the filling the day before if you need to, and keep in an airtight container. If you are making the day before, make sure your wrap the pineapple shells in foil to keep them really fresh.