This wonderful Vegan Queso was adapted by Dr. J.J. Levenstein (bestie) from Sophia DeSantis/Veggies Don’t Bite, book.
Think creamy, rich, spicy and comforting – all those things we love with “cheesy” dips.
- 1 large russet potato – washed, peeled, quartered and boiled until fork tender
- 4 garlic cloves – roasted*
- 1 cup raw cashews – soaked overnight
- 1 ½ cup veggie stock
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 small can diced mild chiles
- ½ cup pickled jalapenos
- 2 TB jalapeno juice (from the jarred peppers)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1-2 tsp flaky salt (I used Maldon)
Place all ingredients EXCEPT 1/4c. of the jalapenos into a blender and process on high until smooth. Add the rest of the jalapenos and pulse briefly.
Pour into a heavy pot and heat on medium until the mixture gets thick and sticky. Stir frequently until it hits the consistency you love.
Pour into a decorative bowl, top with a little cilantro and cumin, add a squeeze of lime, and serve with your favorite veggies or chips!
*to roast garlic cloves, cut off the stem tips, place on heavy duty foil, douse with a little olive oil, crimp and close the foil. Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool.
Hint: MAKE EXTRA, and keep the remaining cloves in a glass jar, covered with your favorite neutral oil. These will keep for a few months, and the oil can be used to flavor dressings and other dishes.