I love the Ayurvedic philsophy of eating because it’s all about giving your digestion masses of TLC. Kitchari is the ultimate cleansing food because it’s so easy to digest. It’s full of plant-based protein, and healthy gut resistant starch. If you are sensitive to a lot of different foods, my guess is that you will be fine with Kitchari. The thing I love most about this filling dish is that you can totally customize it to your exact taste and nutritional needs. It’s the perfect dish for Fall – as the weather gets cooler, we crave warm, comforting foods, and this might be just the ticket!
- 1 cup Basmati rice (either white or brown)
- 2 – 4 tsp Banyan Botanicals Kitchari Spice Mix (or your own spices such as cumin, turmeric, ginger, ground fennel seed and black pepper)
- A little good quality oil such as cold-pressed avocado
- 1 cup mung beans (I love the sprouted ones by Tru Roots)
- Steamed veggies such as green beans, spinach, cauliflower, baby carrots etc (Cut them up small)
- Fresh herbs such as Cilantro or flat-leafed parsely
- 1 ripe avocado
- Sea salt to taste
- Cook the rice according to package directions and add the spice blend, and 2 tsp of plant oil
- Toss the mung beans into 3 cups of salted boiling water, and boil for 15 minutes. Drain
- Mix the rice and beans together in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle on a little more of the spice blend and salt to taste.
- Top with steamed veggies, ripe avocado, and fresh herbs.
- You could always add a creamy sauce for added yumminess. My cashew “cheesey” sauce/dip would be perfect.