This blackberry pear crisp is absolutely delectable. My farm box arrived last week with loads of sweet potatoes and pears. The lazy part of me was annoyed as I had to use them all up (can’t bear to waste anything,) and the creative part of me was thrilled because I had to figure out a way to make use of them that will knock-the-socks off my somewhat spoiled (food-wise,) family.
I spied some beautiful blackberries in the farmer’s market, so decided to create a really healthy crisp. I had eaten the most incredible crisp the week before when a friend took me to dinner at The Ivy in Beverly Hills – I’m quite convinced that it must have had cups – in the plural, of butter and sugar in it though – so I created a healthier version.
Blackberries and pears are a wonderful marriage and remind me of being back in England when both fruits are in season.
- 5 large organic pears, peeled, cored and cut into large cubes
- 2 baskets of organic blackberries
- 4 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4tbsp Earth balance coconut spread or equivalent of vegan marge or butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2cup unsweetened shredded coconut.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F
- Place the fruit, water and agave in a heavy saucepan and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes or until the pear is tender. Transfer fruit to a deep baking dish.
- Combine the flour, oats and salt in a large bowl. Rub in the coconut spread or butter until you have a crumbly breadcrumb texture. Mix in the sugar, flaxseeds and coconut. Finally stir in the applesauce making sure everything is well combined.
- Add the toppings to the fruit. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on top and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is lightly browned.
- Enjoy your blackberry pear crisp!
For more Gorgeously Green recipes delivered to your inbox, subscribe to my weekly newsletter!