With all the crazy marketing we’re subject to, you’d think every single ingredient and product on the market is miraculously age-defying. But, let’s be honest, most of them aren’t. There are indeed only 5 ingredients that will change your skin, that is to say only 5 have a great deal of scientific evidence proving their efficacy.
In my most recent book, Gorgeous For Good, I go into each of the ingredients that actually work, in a great deal of detail. So if you want to dive deeper into this fascinating topic, grab yourself a copy. But for now, let’s go over the five ingredients.
- Vitamin C: The scientific evidence is so conclusive that I have been using the stuff everyday for the past 10 years. Now, it’s not quite as simple as just grabbing a product containing Vitamin C. There are lots of nuances, which I cover in numerous videos. But suffice to say that it has to be a stable form of Vitamin C if it’s been added to a store bought formulation (so always ask), and the fresher the better, which is why I often make my own weekly. Check out my DIY serum recipe, and my DIY Moisturizer.
- Retinol: This the most researched anti-aging ingredient of all. It stimulates collagen production, unclogs pores, stimulates cell turnover – all of which makes your skin smoother, thicker (it thins as we age) and really does help with fine lines. You need to choose whether you are going to use a retinol product, which may give you side effects such as dry/peeling patches when you first use it, or for those with sensitive skin, you may prefer a retinol derivative (used in a lot of green formulations).
- Hyaluronic Acid: Now quite a buzzword in the beauty space, Hyaluronic Acid is a very effective at holding moisture in your skin. I recommend replacing all your moisturizers that may contain petroleum-derived mineral oil, with products that contain hyaluronic acid.
- Fruit Acids (AHA’s, BHA’s): These guys work to dissolve the protein bonds that hold dead skin cells in together, and thus help with a deeply exfoliating your skin. Alpha Hydroxy Acids are best for normal/dry/mature skin, and Beta Hydroxy Acids (such as salicylic acid) are best for those with oily/clogged skin.
- Peptides: Peptides are relatively new in the anti-aging research space, but the evidence looks promising. Peptides have been shown to actually “message” your skin (deep down) to perform certain anti-aging functions! I think we’re going to see more and more research over the years on this particular class of ingredients.
Remember my friends, there is no such thing as “chemical-free” skin care. Everything (even in nature) is a chemical. I also don’t recommend you shy away from anything “synthetic” because synthetic ingredients can often be safer, healthier, and more effective than truly natural ingredients.
For your anti-aging regime, make sure you are including at least 4 of the above ingredients. And for hundreds of product recommendations, check out my ever growing product review archives!