Taro Mash: The superfood alternative to mashed potatoes
Today I’m making Taro Mash! You may not have heard of taro root before, but you should definitely start integrating it into your diet. For one thing, it’s DELICIOUS. For another, it’s CRAZY good for you!!
- 1-2 pounds Taro Root, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1tsp grape seed or olive oil
- 3-4 Tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Spread
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Fresh chives
- Boil the Taro in a large pot of boiling water until fork tender
- Drain and mash as you would potatoes
- Heat the oil in a small skillet and gently fry garlic until it just begins to turn brown. (If you have time, you could always roast the full cloves in the oven with their skins on – this is my preferred method, as the roasted garlic is sweeter).
- Add garlic, Earth Balance and seasoning to Taro
- Top with freshly chopped chives