Sweet Potatoes are one of the best super foods on the planet. And, you get a lot of bang for your buck because it’s an inexpensive way to make sure you get a bucket load of vitamins and minerals. This is why you need to try my Sweet Potato Toast 3 Ways.
Sweet potatoes are obviously gluten-free, so much better than regular bread when making “Avocado Toast”. They also have a low GI, which means that their sugars are slow-releasing. Compared to refined grains, and white potatoes, they will not spike your blood sugar.
What’s most fun is that you can actually make them in a regular toaster. Here’s how:
- Slice an orange fleshed sweet potato into 1/4 inch slices (no thicker or it won’t cook through).
- Toast for about 6 minutes in your toaster (usually about 3 cycles) until it is browning all over, but just short of burning (fine line as the burn happens alarmingly quickly).
- You can bake slices on a greased baking sheet (400 F for 15 minutes), if you prefer.
- Remove from oven or toaster and brush with olive oil
- Consider one of the delicious toppings below.
SWEET POTATO WITH CANNELINI BEANS
This is my favorite because the beans pack such a hefty protein punch.
- One large sweet potato
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or finely grated
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, cut into ribbons
- 1 can of cannellini beans (or any white bean), drained
- A few arugula leaves.
- Mix everything except for the white beans and zucchini ribbons together in a mixing bowl.
- Use a vegetable peeler, spiralizer, or mandolin to make ribbons or spirals with your zucchini (or you can grate them with a box grater), then add the ribbons to the bowl too. Add beans and zucchini to other ingredients, and combine well.
- Set aside to soften and soak up the flavors while you make your toast.
- When toast is ready, lay a few arugula leaves on each slice, and add a heaped tablespoon of the bean topping.
SWEET POTATO WITH NUT BUTTER AND BANANA
This is insanely delicious. Kids love it too – a perfect after-school snack.
- Banana, slices
- Nut butter ( I like to use peanut for this)
- Raw honey
- A handful of dry-roasted peanuts.
- Sea Salt
Smear the nut butter on a still warm slice, and top with banana, a drizzle of honey, nuts, and a tiny pinch of salt (optional).
SWEET POTATO WITH AVOCADO AND BACON
Although I don’t eat bacon, I included this for my family members who do. If you don’t eat meat like me, you can always add a veggie bacon bits.
2 slices of sweet potato (just under half an inch thick)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of plain yogurt
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices bacon (free from nitrites)
- Sweet smoky paprika
Smash the avocado, and add the yogurt, lemon, and seasoning. Smear over the potato toast. Top with bacon or veggie bits, and a sprinkle of Paprika.