Cauliflower Rice Stuff Peppers
I came up with this dish on a weekend when I had a huge cauliflower to contend with, and a bunch of organic bell peppers. It’s hard to find decently-priced organic bell peppers, so when I saw them on sale at Sprouts Market, I got more than I needed. But, as is the case when I over-shop, it forced me to get creative because I don’t like wasting food. As it happens, My Cauliflower Rice Stuffed Peppers turned out to be a huge hit for a family brunch, and is now on my go-to list of Spring/Summer recipes.
This recipe is super healthy because it checks all my nutritional boxes for veggies that are choc full of disease-preventing compounds. Its’ also completely grain-free, so suitable for any of your friends who are carb-phobic! Joking aside, it’s a great weight-loss recipe because it will fill you up with healthy fiber and yet is very low in calories.
If you wanted to take down the calories even more, you could steam fry the cauli (use water in place of oil).
Serves 3 – 6 (depending on it being an appetizer or a main)
- 3 different-colored bell peppers
- 3 tsp avocado oil
- 1 small head cauliflower, stalks removed and grated (use a box grater or food processor)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups Edamame beans, steamed
- 1 cup Pistachio nut hearts
- 1 cup of green or black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup parsley, minced
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- Cut pepper in half length ways and scoop out seeds and pith
- Rub each half with about 1/2 tsp of avocado oil
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and pop in oven for 20 – 30 minutes, or until the edges are browned and they have started to shrivel.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the oil in large skillet over a medium heat and add the cauliflower.
- Turn up the heat, add the water and saute for about 5 minutes. You will need to keep the cauliflower turning over and moving to prevent it from burning.
- Remove from the heat, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and make sure you season well.
- Spoon into the bell pepper halves and generously sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve at room temperature. Or you can store for up to a day in the fridge