Everyone around me is sneezing and rubbing their noses and eyes. It’s officially allergy season in LA and many regions across the country. I noticed that every TV show is now book-ended with allergy medication ads, but I have a few tips that might be better for your holistic health all the way around – Certainly better than medications that always come with side effects. And by the way these side effects may include a racing heart, dry mouth, headache, nervousness, fatigue and even seizures. Ooooof, this is why I created 5 natural allergy-busting tips for you.
So, if you suffer from seasonal allergies, read on about the alternatives!
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is a natural anti-histamine, and many sufferers swear by it. I recommend taking 2 tsp a day. If you can’t stomach the bitter/acidic taste, it’s delicious when added to a glass of warm water (10 minutes off the boil). And I even recommend adding 1 tsp of Manuka Honey (obviously if you’re not vegan), as this valuable honey contains anti-bacterial properties. Make sure that the Manuka is the real deal. I love a brand called Manuka Health. If you are vegan, you could add a lump of Jaggery (my fave new sweetner), instead.
2. Neti Pot: I use a Neti Pot every single day during allergy and cold season (which would amount to most of the year!). I add 1/4 tsp of non-iodized salt to warm water and rinse out my nasal passageways. Just make sure you sanitize your pot by placing it in the top drawer of the dishwasher after every use.
3. Cool the inflammation by taking a really good turmeric supplement. I like Kyolic Curcumin, because it not only contains the bioavailable form of turmeric (curcumin), but it also contains aged garlic that will also help with allergy symptoms. I recommend a probiotic such as Kyo.Dophilus, which contains the 3 non-dairy strains of friendly bacteria that you need. Remember that your gut health affects how your body responds to incoming invaders of all types!
4. Essential oils: Certain essential oils such as lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, and mint can be very helpful for allergy sufferers. I recommend diffusing one or a blend of these oils throughout your home during the day. I love the Organic Aromas cold-air diffuser for this. I have one in my living room, one in my bedroom, and one in my office…go figure!!!
5. Air Purifier: If you suffer from seasonal allergies, it’s an absolute must-have investment to get a stellar air purifier. As far as I’m concerned, there’s only one for the job: The Intellipure is the only unit that removes minute particles from the air. Read more about why I love this particular unit.
So, please try my tips and LMK how you get on.